Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Justify!

So, this feels like a justification post, but what the hell. I'm going to roll with it.

Part of me wants to work really really hard to land an agent and get in with the Big 6. But that's only because that's what I have been told has to happen to be successful.

There are tons of writers who have ripped this theory to shreds. There are tons of indie theater projects--projects that I have worked on--that rip this theory to shreds. There are tons of indie movies--some that I have worked on--that rip this theory to shreds.

There are thousands of reasons why I don't merit any love from an agent or a Big 6 house, and they have nothing to do with my ability to type up a decent story. I am a genre writer, and this genre is pretty crowded. And I am not turning the genre on it's head. I am sure they have a million other genre writers in their stable. Why would they add one more unproven, untested writer?

But I am not 20 years old anymore, and don't have years to spend waiting for someone else to give me a stamp of approval. And I know that stamp of approval matters to so many places--media outlets, bloggers, readers, even members of my family--but what does it mean really? How many Big 6 books have you read (or not finished) and said WTF? Exactly.

So I chose to go it alone. Like I have in my day job. I don't have to worry about making my advance, and every step (and misstep) is mine to own. It's at once all incredibly scary and frustrating and exhilarating and fun. Will I find my audience? Will they enjoy my story? Will they fall in love with my characters? Hell, I hope so. That'd be really cool.


No comments:

Post a Comment