Monday, November 10, 2014

Author Interview: Kathleen Collins (Realm Walker series)


Tell me about the  Realm Walker series.

Juliana Norris is a Realm Walker with the International Law Enforcement Agency. In a world full of werewolves, vampires, demons and more, it is her job to make sure they all conform to the rules of society.

Tell us about the world of the Realm Walkers—what do they do? Did they inherit this supernatural ability or was did they somehow end up with it? 

Realm Walker is actually what the elite agents at the Agency are called. They got the name because they use portal mages to travel around the world, crossing thousands of miles with a single step.

What is the setting for the Realm Walker like? Can they head on over to a Chipotle for a burrito bowl, or is their world pretty different from our own? 

It’s not so different from our world in the little ways but in the big ways it’s obviously very different. After all it’s populated with all those things that we think are myths. And I don’t think I’d want to write a version of our world where you couldn’t go to Chipotle. (Ed note: thank GOD!)

How did the human world learn about supernatural creatures? 

The magic in Realm Walker does not react well to radiation so during World War II when the radiation from the atomic bombs moved through the atmosphere, they were forced out of hiding. 

What inspired you to tell Juliana’s story?

The initial idea came to me while I was editing a different book. And once I got the idea it just wouldn’t let go. I kind of had to write it.

Can you divulge a little bit of the relationship between Juliana and the master vampire Thomas? I am so intrigued by it! 

Their relationship is a complicated one. When Juliana was twelve she was befriended by Thomas’s sister Sara. Thomas took Juliana in off the street. While she was under his protection, he didn’t have much to do with her until she got older and their relationship changed drastically. 

So far, you have two books in the series, plus a short. Are you working on a third full length in the series, or something entirely new (or both)? 

Book Three will be out in January. I am also working on a contemporary romance.

Do you have any writing rituals?

Music. I have to have music.

Where is your favorite place to write?

I have a chair that’s my writing chair. It’s in my bedroom so I can shut the doors if I don’t want to be bothered. 

What inspires you to write? 

I don’t know how not to write. Even when I’m not actually writing, I’m writing in my head.

What 5 books are on your bookshelf right now?

Um…do you mean 500? And which bookshelf? And what about the Kindle, there’s at least a 1000 on there. Five random reads would be Burn for Me by Ilona Andrews, Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen, The Mummy by Anne Rice, Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs and The Corset Diaries by Katie MacAlister.

What do you recommend people see/read/hear?

Reading wise, I think people should read anything they can get their hands on. If you don’t like a book, put it down and try another. There are so many great books out there. Find your own favorites.

Some of my favorite movies are Pan’s Labyrinth, Like Water for Chocolate, Penelope, Sweet Home Alabama and The Proposal.

My favorite bands/singers of the moment are Needtobreathe, Dirty Guv’nahs, Daughtry and Sam Hunt.


No comments:

Post a Comment